Monday, April 5, 2010

Psalm 2:10-12 Amazing Grace


Redemption and the call to Repentance

"Now therefore, O kings, show discernment;
Take warning, O judges of the earth.
Worship the Lord with reverence,
And rejoice with trembling.
Do homage to the Son, lest He become angry, and you perish in the way,
For His wrath may soon be kindled.
How blessed are all those who take refuge in Him!"

In the past few verses we see how God has warned against the ways (kings) of the world. He has spoken about our feeble efforts of control and satisfaction. He has revealed to us His desire to take us deeper and to provide for us. And now, now we see an amazing God of grace.
In calling out to abstain from the worlds ways, He turns and offers a hand of grace to the very ones who were leading the rebellion against Him.
Show discernment O king. Take Warning. He doesn't just blast them away although you see in verse 4 that He could very well do that. Instead you see Him give hope and a way out.
Sometimes people become so defensive because they feel trapped and think they have no way out. Think about a cornered animal, the more it feels threatened the more hostile it becomes. In this same way, so is the world. When people see the truth and light of the gospel, alot of times the response is hostility. They feel trapped because now the light shows that their ways have been in vain. Yet, God extends an invitation to worship. He doesn't say, "OK come on in, but you are gonna pay for that whole fiasco that happened last week."
Instead, you see the grace and redemption of God that one has the chance to go from the king of the rebellion to now becoming the child of redemption. There is a warning, there is a clear stating of God's wrath and how He isn't someone to just take advantage off, instead you see The power of God and the mercy of God. This verse doesn't say Jesus is my homeboy and I can just take advantage of Him. This verse is calling sinners to repent and providing away to do so, all the while, realizing that the Almighty Lion of Judah is just and will reveal His wrath and sin will not go unpunished.
Even in the ending you see the provision and grace of God. How blessed are all who take refuge in Him. Not just some, not just those who grew up in church and never did anything wrong. The word is all, the offer was extended to the kings of the rebellion. So, if Osama bin Laden was to trust Christ and see the light of the gospel and repent and call out to Jesus as His Savior, then he too would be one of those who would find refuge. I admit that I don't always like this, a kind of violent grace, because honestly I would be picky about who I handed it out too. Which means that I would not be just and then it would not be grace because people would have to earn it. When I think about it, it all comes down to me realizing that in reality, I am just as wretched as Osama bin Laden, I was a child of wrath (Eph 2:1-7). We are all on equal footing and we all need the Savior.
"Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch, like me"

May I not be stingy with grace and may I pray for the kings of the rebellion to repent, for such is the heart of God.

Thanks for reading,
Britton

1 comment:

  1. Hey Britton, thanks for posting! I definitely feel this rebellion sometimes in my own heart but it's awesome to know that God is reaching out His hand, willing to take me back when I come around.

    ReplyDelete